January 31st, 2021
Race Registration is Open
The Nippy Niner offers two distances - a 9 mile (15k) and a 5.6 mile (9k) option.
For 2021 the Nippy Niner Trail run returns to higher ground and takes place in Spanish Lake Park just above the Conluence Conservation Area. The race will begin on paved trail around Spanish Lake before heading into the double track, gravel, and single track around the upper Sunflower Lake. 9 Mile competitors will complete two laps of the trail section, 9K competitors will complete one off-road loop. (This is the same route used in 2016 and 2020 due to similar trail damage). There will be a bit more elevation gain on this loop than in the river bottoms. Both distances will be extra nippy.
The Nippy Gritty:
Register online here.
- After January 1: $35
- Race Day: $40
Athletes registered prior to January 21st will recieve a super deluxe Nippy Niner embroidered beanie.
Packet Pick Up and Registration: Registration is online only, including race day.
Saturday, January 30 from 1pm - 5pm at Big Shark Bicycle Company 1155 South Big Bend Blvd, 63117
Race Day starting at 7:30 am at Spanish Lake County Park, 12500 Spanish Pond Road, 63138.
Race Start: This year the Nippy Niner will NOT be a mass start.
- You will register in your heat/wave.
- Wave's will be spaced out every 6 minutes. 10 runners per wave.
- First Wave. Please be at the start line by 8:50am.
- We will have a staging area set aside for the 'on-deck' wave.
- Please abide by County restrictions and stay in your car or away from the start/staging area until it is time to go.
- Please be in the 'on deck' coral 10 minutes before your race start
- Do not gather at the Start or Finish Line. (This includes friends and family. Sorry!)
- Start and Finish line will be separate. Please depart the venue post race. Results and awards will NOT be distrubuted on site.
Covid 19 Precautions
- All athletes must visit our COVID screening tent for a temperature check, questionairre, and wrist band prior to competing.
- If you have any cold or flu symptons please do not risk attending.
- All participants must wear a face covering when not racing. You can remove your face covering as the race starts.
- Athletes who do not comply with our safety protocols will be asked to leave and disqualified from the event.
Nine Mile (15k) Course Description: The race begins on the approx. 1 mile paved loop around Spanish Lake. The course departs the trail and heads towards the upper trails, single track, and double track to the hills and trails around Sunflower Lake. Runners will complete two trail loops before returning to the finish line around Spanish Lake.
Nine K (5.6 mile) Course Description: The short course will be the same as the 9 miler- runners will complete only 1 lap of the trail loop.
Nine Miler Support: Runners will one water stations that will behit out and back for both the 9 mile and 9k. The 9 mile will pass the water station 3 times, the 9K will pass the water station twice. There will not be cups, small bottles will be distributed
The Race Location: Spanish Lake County Park is located in north St. Louis County just above the Columbia Bottoms Conservation Area. From I-270 exit at Bellefontaine Road and head north. Turn right at Spanish Pond Road - park entry will be on your right.
When: Sunday, January 31st, 9:00 AM
Please Note: The Nippy Niner will occur regardless of rain, snow, ice, mud, stampeding badgers, wild cougars or extreme nippyness. Should the event be cancelled due to extraordinary circumstances there will be no refunds.
Overall Top 3 Female/Male
- Age Group Top 3 Female/Male: 19-under, 20-24, 25-29, 30-34, 35-39, 40-44, 45-49, 50-54, 55-59, 60-64, 65-69, 70+
Nine Miler ONLY: Female/Male Masters (40 years old +) ... 1 Award Each
(Masters award winners not eligible for Age Group awards)
Nine Miler ONLY: Athena (150+lbs) under 40 years old and 40+, Male Clydesdale (200+lbs) under 40 years old and 40+ ... 1 Award per Category
(Athena/Clydesdale award winners not eligible for Age Group awards)
Awards and results will be distributed the week after the race. No awards on site.
Results: will be available online 24hrs post event.
- To be eligible for an award, the runner must complete the entire race course.
- This is a wave start event. No early or late starters allowed.
- There are no refunds. Entry may be transferred up to 1 week prior to the event.
- Athletes registered prior to Jan 21 are guaranteed an event beanie. Everyone is guaranteed a nippy good time!
Volunteer: Want to get nippy but don't want to run! Volunteer HERE
Race Information Contact: firstname.lastname@example.org
Thanks to R & R Sanitation for supplying our "facilities".
The Nippy Niner is an officially sanctioned USATF event.
Previous Years' Results: